by National Association for Catholic Youth Ministry Leaders (published 2011)
This resource, Competencies for Volunteers Serving in Youth Ministry Supporting Roles, provides practical help for youth ministry leaders as they invite, prepare, and lead volunteers for youth ministry. It presents a nationally applicable framework of competencies for youth ministry volunteers. It is our hope that this resource will help youth ministry leaders and their volunteers build a culture of competence for comprehensive youth ministry.
Competency-based standards are agreed-upon descriptions of knowledge, skills and dispositions (personal attributes and attitudes) related to a particular role. They describe the qualities necessary for an individual to fulfill a role successfully and may be used to:
- Develop a template for education and formation for youth ministry training programs and to write role descriptions, policies, or other procedures for parish youth ministries in a diocese
- Determine the ministry staffing needs in the parish to recruit, develop and evaluate staff
- Plan one’s professional development
- Manage volunteers, which includes identifying needs, recruiting, orienting, training, and assessment.
The Volunteer Competencies are for people who serve in essential ministry roles but are not responsible for the overall coordination and leadership of the ministry. Examples of such roles include, but are not limited to: chaperone, driver, catechist, fundraising coordinator, core team member.
Table of Contents
- What Are Competencies?
- For Whom Are Competencies Intended?
- Competence Is Important
Using the Competencies
Competencies for Youth Ministry Volunteers
- Prerequisites—Mandatory Competencies
- Dispositional Competencies
- Skill Competencies
- Knowledge Competencies
Appendix One: Worksheets and Samples
»» Youth Ministry Role Description Worksheet
»» Sample Role Descriptions
* Team Member
* Activity Leaders
* Fundraising Coordinator
»» Competence Assessment and Growth Plan Worksheet
Appendix Two: Links and Resources
Appendix Three: A Brief History of Competency-Based Youth Ministry Leadership Standards
Appendix Four: Sample Code of Ethics for Youth Ministry Leaders